My practice as a contemporary sculptor and artist investigates cultural symbols and motifs to create work that inhabits the gray area between abstraction and purpose. I am uninterested in any agenda or dogma, but rather in a paired-down aesthetic of instinctual artistic pursuit. The sculptures reference the figure, signage, or fragments of tools and machinery, and thus have a familiar yet unique and unidentifiable presence, evoking some ancient memory. They are self-sufficient objects that rely on the singular form, without adornment, to convey their power.
J T Gibson CV
Three Person Exhibition
- Corey Daniels Gallery, Wells, ME, July, 2014
Recent Solo and two person Exhibitions
- Ten High Street, Camden ME – 2012
- Coleman Burke, Portland, ME – 2011-2012
- University of Maine Museum of Art, Bangor – Implements: Recent Sculpture – 2011
- Center for Maine Contemporary Art, Rockport, ME – 2011 Season Installation
- Aarhus Gallery, Belfast, ME – 2009 Guest Artist
Recent Group Shows
- CMCA Auction, Rockport, ME 2014
- Heather Hearst Art, Camden, ME August, 2014 Pop-UP Show
- Maine Audubon – Art and Nature, Falmouth, ME 2014
- Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens, Pollinators, Boothbay, ME, 2014
- I-95 Triennial, UMMA Bangor, ME – 2013
- Aarhus Gallery, Belfast, ME – 2013 – Sublime Monotony.
- CMCA Auction, Rockport, ME 2013
- George Marshall Store Gallery, York, ME – 2012 – Working Waterfront.
- Hawk Ridge Farm, Pownal, ME – 2011 – Between Earth and Sky
- Ten High Street, Camden, ME – 2011 Audubon show
- I-95 Triennial, UMMA Bangor, ME – 2010
- CMCA Biennial, Rockport, ME – 2011
- Pratt Institute, Photography/Sculpture – 1976 – 1978
- Apprentice – Neil Selkirk Photography, NYC – 1978 – 1980
- Fine Art Black and White printer, NYC – 1981 – 1988
(Arbus, Avedon, Frank, Horst, et al)
- Johnson Atelier Sculpture Foundry, NJ – 1988 – 1992
- Gibson Design, NJ, custom metal work – 1992 – 1998
- Metaphor Bronze, NJ/ME, 1998 – Current
- Metaphor Custom – custom metal work current -Maya Lin, Peter Marino Architects, etc.